Guide to link Aadhaar with mobile number
The government of India has now made it compulsory to link your Aadhaar card with the mobile number in order to keep it active. Many of you must be thinking that this news is totally fake but actually it is not. RBI has mandated to link your Aadhaar card with all the SIM cards that you want to use.
In today’s time there is no doubt that to get benefits of any of the government schemes or to give proof of your identity, Aadhar card comes out to be the valid document. Even to keep your bank account active, you need to link the account with Aadhaar.
There are a number of benefits that you get when the Aadhaar is linked to the bank account. In the entire process of linking Aadhaar with a mobile number, an OTP will be sent over the mobile number that is to be linked. The linking can also be done by updating the personal details online.
There are two scenarios that can occur while linking is done:
- The linking to the mobile number is done for the first time.
- If the mobile number is changed and the same you want to update the same with Aadhaar card.
Linking mobile number for the first time
If you are linking your mobile number first time with the Aadhaar then you can do it offline only. Here are the steps to do so:
- You need to go to some of the nearest outlet or the enrollment center for Aadhaar card. There you will easily get the Aadhaar update form or the correction form.
- After you receive the form, make sure you fill it correctly without any errors. Fill all the details in it and submit it along with the documents that support your information. Also, send a copy of your form filled. PAN card and passport etc can play the role of supporting documents.
- Next step is to give your biometric information and the provided information is verified at the available enrollment center. The officials over there will authenticate your thumbprint.
- Once the biometric information is verified, an enrollment status slip will be provided to you along with an acknowledgment
- The entire process of updation will take a minimum of two to three days. But in some case, it can take up to ten days.
Changing the existing mobile number
The task of changing the existing mobile number can be easily done online. The only thing you need to do is visit the website of UIDAI. There is a section of Aadhar update, just click on that and you will be taken to the self-service portal of Aadhaar. Few steps have to be followed over there:
- Enter the number of your Aadhaar card and request for OTP.
- You will get the OTP on the registered mobile number. Then you need to enter details.
- Then, you will be taken to another page where you can give all the details to be updated.
- One option will be available as select fields, there choose “mobile number”.
- Enter the mobile number that you want to update and click on submit.
The last date to do all this is February 2018, so do it before that.